Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Birthday America

It's America's 234th birthday and the Red, White and Blue deserves a top ten list to commemorate the day. So here is some of my favorite things about this great country:

10. The National Parks - As a child I can remember my parents taking us to visit many of them. Some of my favorites are Zion and Dinosaur (UT), Grand Canyon (AZ), Carlsbad Caverns (NM), Crater Lake (OR), Craters of the Moon (ID), Yosemite, Redwood, and my personal favorite, Death Valley (CA)

9. The National Anthem... whether it's being played at the beginning of a sporting event, by a marching band or at the Olympics... I love that song and wish I had the kind of voice that could sing it.

8. American invented food .... Corn Dogs, Ice Cream Sundaes, Peanut Butter, Deep Dish Pizza, S'mores, Toll House Cookies, Hershey's Kisses and M&Ms are just a few.

7. The freedom we have to travel where we want, prohibited only by our own resources. There is nothing like jumping in the car with your family and going for a ride. You can go to the beach or the mountains or the city or just over the hills and through the woods to Grandma's house.

6. Freedom of ideas and speech. The only thing that can keep us from expressing our opinions is us.

5. Everyday heroes. Not the celebrities whose every movement is chronicled by the media, but the American people who step out of their personal comfort zones to help others. Just today, I saw an elderly man crossing a street with a basket of groceries. His little cart tipped over spilling it's contents out. A driver quickly jumped out and helped the man then hopped back in his car and drove away.

4. How American people rally in disaster.... Floods, Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Fire, Disease... we run marathons, hold bake sales, buy tee-shirts, and make donations to help others when it's needed.

3. Volunteerism... Soccer coaches, team moms, PTA boards, Boys Scouts, Community Clean-ups, Hospitals, Animal Shelters, Soup Lines, ... there is no end to the opportunities and many, many who step up to take them on.

2. Free public education. When I read about children in other countries who can't go to school because they can't pay for the books or the clothes or the materials it makes me want to scream. I am so grateful to live where, even though school budgets are being slashed to ribbons, any child can still go and there will be someone there to teach him/her.

1. My number one favorite thing about America is the right to worship my Heavenly Father as I wish. I am so very thankful that I can practice my religion without worry or threat. What a blessing that is.
I am very proud to be an American and as Lee Greenwood sings,
"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me,
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless The USA!"
Happy Birthday America!

1 comment:

Lindy Leigh said...

You sure make me proud to be an American :)