1. The food! The camp cooks provide three fabulous meals every day as well as a mid-day snack and an evening treat. My favorites during the week were the salad bar and quiche lunch (Frog-eye Salad ... Yum!), Spaghetti and Garlic Bread Night (I wished the servings were bigger) and French Toast for breakfast (French Toast is always good). I also thoroughly enjoyed the late night treat of a hot scone with honey butter (and now I know the secret to the honey butter). Having an entire week of someone cooking all your meals and someone else doing the dishes is truly a luxury.
2. Service! My job this week was to be a co-leader in the Service Area. Each of the tent groups was assigned an hour slot to come and work in Service and anyone could come during their unscheduled time. This year we really wanted to do a variety of service projects and to choose things that the girls could do easily with their varying abilities. I am happy to report that we completed about 80 tied fleece blankets, almost 50 knitted baby hats and 30 file folder games. These items will be donated to a variety of charities.
3. My mattress! My sister Georgia let me borrow this wonderful air mattress. For the first time since I've been going to camp I slept almost as comfortably as my own bed. It was about 8 inches thick and made sleeping in a tent a joy.
4. Old friends! Many of my dearest friends also serve at camp. In our real lives we are often very busy with our various activities and we don't always have the time to visit. Camp is like a reunion.
5. New friends! Each year I meet someone I didn't know before or I get to know someone who was just an acquaintance so much better.
6. Mail! I love going to the camp post office and finding a letter from home. This year not only did I get a really sweet card from Tommy but also a handmade one from Heather and Andrew (although nothing from any of my sons!).
7. The girls! After all, it is Young Women's Camp and the girls are the reason we go and serve at camp. I love to see them having fun and learning to appreciate the beauty of God's creations. They are singing and laughing and working and they are loving it. It makes going to camp worth the sacrifices made to get there.
8. Hot water! Even though the showers leave much to be desired, the fact that we have hot water is such a blessing. Without that, the week would be intolerable.
9. Morning devotional, the flag raising, and the campfires! Starting the morning together with devotional is such a great way to start each day. Then moving to the fla
10. And the best thing about Girls Camp.... (drum roll please).... coming home! I love coming home to hugs and "We missed you" and my comfy bed and my own shower and my family makes going to camp worth it.
So until next year....
4 comments:
Your post brings back so many memories! The girls in my stake now get to sleep in cabins. Spoiled!
Oh Laurie...you make me miss it so much!
So when did they start going back to Treasure Mt? Are all the Yurts up?
Is Liz cooking again? I have so many questions!
I can't wait I hope we have a week like yours we are off on monday to Rucker lake...Weren't the bathrooms at Teasure great!
Yes, the girls and leaders now sleep in Yurts.... no more outside under the stars. Donna and I stayed in a tent, though. The Yurts were just too weird for me. This was our first time back at Treasure Mountain. But next year we are back at Clarks Fork. We're too big for Rucker.
The new Taj Mahal Shower/Bathroom building is certainly different. Having to have a "shower buddy" using the shower stall next to you was intersting. If there wasn't someone else taking a shower you got ice water!
Post a Comment