Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dough Nu Matic


Have you ever read the book Homer Price? It's a classic written by Robert McCloskey. In it a boy named Homer helps run the diner's doughnut machine. It goes crazy and their are doughnuts everywhere. My friend Kristen usually shares the story with her first graders and they always love it.
So when I found this wonderful machine on line I immediately thought of Homer. We are definitely doughnut people at our house. Tommy used to know exactly what time the local doughnut shop was taken the raised glaze out of the oven and could time it just right to be there and buy a dozen of really fresh doughnuts.
We also were part of the first night crowd, along with our good friends the Merrills, when Krispy Kreme opened a shop near us. I can still remember getting that hot, fresh, ring of unhealthily fried and sugared dough that night.
So when I stumbled across the "Dough-nu-matic" I was so excited. It's sold by a place called Picnic World http://www.picnicworld.net/picnic-bags-143992.html. The product description reads: Serve up piping hot doughnuts in less than a minute! Dough-Nu-Matic automatically forms, fries and drains delicious mini-doughnuts in under 60 seconds. . .Just add dough and the Dough-Nu-Matic does the rest. Enclosed oil fryer keeps cleanup to a minimum. Dials adjust cooking temperature.
Okay, let's see, "piping hot", "60 seconds", minimum clean-up? I am totally thinking I need to get me one of these things. I can see it now... I'm reading Homer Price while the doughnuts are rolling out of my kitchen by the hundreds. Yum!

4 comments:

Heather said...

the donut machine!!! i saw something awhile back (in williams sonoma) all though it wasn't a mechanical one, but the donuts looked so good. but didn't uncle robert say his didn't work very well. and the donuts looked like little pieces of fried poop. anyway, i say get it. but then you'll be stuck making them all the time.

Lindy Leigh said...

I'll have to get that book for the girls :)

Oh...and maybe we need one of these...they have a doughnut booth at the farmer's market and this is what they use...they charge $4 for a small bag that probably cost them 50 cents to make. But they are sooooo good!

mhanberg said...

yummmy, fresh hot glazed donuts! PLEASE let the Hanbergs know when the machine is turning out donuts. We'll be right there with an ice cold gallon (or 2)of milk!

Georgia said...

Heather is correct. Robert bought this same machine from Sky Mall. He tried it once and it was a failure. He's been wanting to try it again to see if it was him or the machine. If it doesn't work again, we'll pass it over to you to see if you can get it to work.