I LOVE everything about Les Miserables. I have seen almost every version (Did you know Claire Danes played Cossette in one movie version?), including a high school rendition. My boys can attest the the fact that I adore the music and have made them sit through countless hours in the car listening to the recording of the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast. I have to admit, though, the 25th Anniversary Concert is my all time favorite. The encore with Colm Wilkinson is amazing
So it was a great deal of anticipation that I looked forward to the new movie version of this Victor Hugo classic about forgiveness, redemption, love and duty and a little social injustice thrown in to spice it up. It seemed like a dream cast .... Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and I could hardly wait.
Of course, I am the only one in my household who relished the thought of sitting through 2-1/2 hours and I did not want the movie spoiled by the snores of my usual movie partner. So, New Years Day I went by myself to see this latest version.
Even though it had been released a week ago, the theater was packed. I thought it was interesting that there were quite a few younger children in the audience. There is a PG13 rating and it is more than appropriate. If you are familiar with the story, you know that there is an important part of the movie that takes place in a seedier part of France with some "ladies" of questionable employment plying their trade. Not a discussion I want to get into with my 10 year old. But hey, it's a judgement call.
Now to the movie review.... Like I said, I'm a Les Miz snob. The movie is very true to the play and the producer was smart enough to not try to change the lyrics. There are a couple of new songs that fit in nicely and helped move the story along. The acting is quite good. You would expect nothing less from the caliber of actors involved. Anne Hathaway is particularly moving as Fantine, who hits the very bottom of despair in an effort to save her child. Hugh Jackman is equally emotional in his performance of the penitent Valjean. I've never been a Russell Crowe fan so it was easy to dislike him as Javert, the villian of the film.
That said, I have to comment on the singing. When you deal with something that so many hold in such high esteem you run the risk of not making the bar. That is how I feel about Jackman and Crowe. Their vocals just don't hold a candle to the many who have played these parts so well before. One of my favorite numbers is "Bring Him Home". It always brings tears to my eyes. Jackman's version, although tortured, just didn't touch me in the same way. And Crowe's final number leading to his suicide didn't have the total sense of loss I have felt in other's.
The ending is the ending... Let's face it, I cried and, unless there was a mass sinus infection afflicting the audience, I wasn't the only one reaching for my Kleenix.
So would I recommend seeing this new Les Miserables? Why of course! If you're like me and love the story you can't miss it. Just don't expect it to be the best you've ever seen. And if you don't know the story this is a perfect place to start.
And then go and find a copy of the 25th Anniversary Concert and watch that.
p.s. I have to share my favorite quote from the movie, play: "To love another person is to see the face of God." Doesn't that say it all!
No comments:
Post a Comment