Friday, October 12, 2012

Disney Tip Part 2

The World of Color show at Disney California is another of those "fast pass" experiences that you need to snap up early. I was successful in my quest to get ours first thing in the morning. We were assigned the "blue section" of the 9pm show. We then spent the day questioning a variety of cast members about where we needed to line up, what time the lines started forming, where the best vantage point for our little boys to be able to see from.
For each person that we asked a question of we received a different answer. Most said that we should begin to line up between 7 and 7:30 somewhere near the front of the Little Mermaid ride. We had been told that this show was such a special experience we didn't want to miss it. We saw the line being set up so we stepped into the front. The cast members asked us to move back so we did .... several times.
Our new friend, cast member Ash assured us we were the front of the line and very quickly several hundred people stepped in behind us. My theory is that if a group of people start a line anywhere in Disneyland, 100 or more people will join it. Someday I plan to test it.
There was some problem with setting up the ropes for the line so cast member Carl decided to entertain us with a Disney trivia contest. Our Carl and I each won a commemorative coin with our knowledge.
Finally we were allowed into the viewing area. We selected a great vantage point just a little off center and out of the "You will get wet here" area. We now began what I like to refer to as Occupy Disney. We sat down on the ground and began our hour wait. The little boys were pretty tired by this point and Andrew actually took a much needed nap.
Finally the lights around Disney California began to go dark and the show started. Our spot was perfect for viewing. We were right against the fence so no one would stand in front of us to block the little boys' views. . . just like we had been told. Unfortunately we were just to the left of a large block of stone that several parents thought was the perfect place to set their children. Said children danced and waved their arms and totally blocked our view!
I have done a little more research since being home and here's what I wish I would have known earlier ...
If you do not want to get wet (and who does at 9pm in October?) I think a better spot is to the right of the round fountain area. The center of the show is not the center of the lagoon ... more towards the Ferris Wheel. You will still want to be up against the fence. Just stay away from those stone blocks.
Pick up snacks or a late dinner to eat while you wait. That kills some of the time. At the very least bring some snacks. We had a box of popcorn and my backpack of snacks.
You will probably need to hold your little ones up for most of the show. It's almost 30 minutes long and little legs do not hold up. Being agains the fence helps in this effort as well.
I think that the 10:15 show probably isn't as crowded if you want to wait to get the later fast pass. My guess is that there are probably less people because they go home after seeing the first presentation or they head over to Disneyland.
The World of Color is a pretty amazing show. It is definitely Disney magic and they manage to span almost the entire catalog of animated movies in the presentation. Fortunately I was able to watch the whole thing thanks to You Tube. You can see it here: World of Color . I think it is one of those things that you do at least once.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Occupy Disney! You crack me up :-)