Today was the first day of the local Farmers' Market. I didn't realize how much I missed it until we were walking down the street toward the sound of this week's entertainment. You see, each week a different musical group, band, ensemble or lone musician provides the soundtrack to the market. This week it was a blues group that added the perfect backdrop.
One of my favorite things at the market is the fresh flowers. They are always beautiful and the flower booth makes me smile. Today we bought some lovely yellow tulips that reminded me of a friend. I was hoping they would have some daffodils but the tulips were perfect. 
My friends all know that I'm not a big vegetable eater but the produce at the market makes even me stop and awe at the array of carrots, bok choy and (ewwwww) brussels sprouts. This morning we bought some great looking white potatoes. Filling out our shopping bag was a loaf of awesome sourdough bread and some dried apricots that I'm going to keep at my desk to snack on during the week (instead of the Hersheys' Kisses that I have to rely on through the long winter).
My little shopping buddy has a favorite booth at the Farmers' Market and he searched and searched for it. We finally found it. The Pie Lady! It is not a successful outing to the Farmers' Market without purchasing a Sweet Potato Pie. This is love in a crust as far as he is concerned. First he has to have a long conversation with the sweet woman who sells the pies. She is the kindest person and hands him the yummy treat with a promise that she will be sure to have one for him next week. If you have not had this flavor before, I can tell you that it is reminiscent of pumpkin pie... at least that's the impression I got from the one little bite he shared with me before he wolfed it down!
The Farmers Market isn't a favorite weekend outing just for the great produce. It's also a fun place to run into friends, support local farmers, and get out in the sunshine after the dreary winter. It's a feast for the senses with all of its colors, scents, sounds and textures. And nothing taste better than fresh blueberries!
2 comments:
the farmers market has started? why did i think it was later on, like May...? I liked going there that one time last year but man, it was packed. they really need ot find a better spot to hold it. and how was it with all that construction down there?
They moved it and it was a narrower street but we went early so not so crowded (except the bread booth ... that one was very crowded).
Post a Comment