Friday, December 10, 2010

Saying Goodbye ... for now

Today was one of those "hard" days that is edged with tender mercies. I attended the memorial service for a friend from my youth. He was someone exactly my age, someone I grew up with and who I remembered fondly. His death came as a shock and was the result of a tragic accident. I had last seen him at a reunion this summer and got to visit with him for a while. I am grateful for that visit because too many years had passed since I had last seen him.
Today at the memorial, as I listened to the story and stories of his life, I was reminded time and again of times spent with this friend and the rest of our little group at school and church and dances and Disneyland and service projects and parties and whatnot. And as is often the case at these type of gatherings, those of us who attended gathered around after to share stories and to catch up with each other. And then we said our good-byes with promises to get together again under happier circumstances.
As I reflected on this I thought of the reunion my friend must be having with others who have passed on. And for every tear we shed today at the sadness of our loss, I am sure there were an equal number of tears of joy that were shed on the other side of the veil by those happy to see him again. For every comforting hug we gave to each other, I know there was a welcoming hug of recognition as my friend was enveloped in the arms of those who have awaited his return home.
I am grateful for this knowledge, that the time we have here is just a beginning ... a doorway into eternity. My friend passed through that doorway and the next part of his journey has begun.
I found this little quote ... I don't know who to cite for its origin but I love it all the same: "What the caterpillar perceives as the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning."

1 comment:

Nancy Hill said...

You have said exactly what I have had written on my heart, since hearing of our sweet friend's passing. Oh so bitter sweet.
~Nancy