Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reunions

"The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart."

-Elisabeth Foley

I recently spent a couple of weeks reconnecting with old friends who I haven't seen in many years. You know those kinds of friends I'm talking about. They are the ones who you remember with great fondness and catch yourself saying, "I need to call so-and-so" or "I wonder what she's doing now?"


First up on the Reunion Tour was dinner with a group of people I affectionately call the Young Marrieds. That's who we used to be many moons ago. When we were all in our twenties we lived in the same town, went to Church together, had gatherings at each others' homes, celebrated our birthdays together. Our husbands played on the same teams, we watched each others' children, brought dinners in when one of us was sick, dropped off treats at holidays, were pregnant at the same time. One of my favorite memories was when all the girls were doing an exercise class together and our babies were scurrying around us in those little walkers that are considered dangerous by today's standards. Over a quarter of a century later some of those babies are now young marrieds and some have babies of their own.

Two of the couples had moved away many years ago but, surprisingly, had ended up relocating in the same town. Since four hours of driving time separates us, we chose a restaurant at the halfway mark and met up for dinner. The decades of time that had passed since the last time we all broke bread together melted away as we fell right into the easiness that had made us friends so long ago. Hours later (and withering looks from the wait staff, to boot) we finally said good-bye over promises that we would make this an annual dinner.
For the second half of the Reunion Tour, my sweet sister secretly made arrangements with my two life-long (we're talking back to 8 years old) friends. She booked me a flight and sent me on a visit. It came as such a surprise. These were friends that helped me through those rough adolescent/teenage years. We had lost touch with each other over the years as we all were busy establishing careers, finding and marrying our soul mates, and raising children. Those things take a lot of attention and focus. But never in all the years were those two ever very far from my thoughts.
Sadly, our plans didn't all work out. Miss N. got a horrendous case of bronchitis and was not able to joins us. So Lady G. and I just had to do our best without her. We shopped a little (okay, a whole lot!), we dined and dished, we went to the movies, tried on clothes, and just enjoyed hanging out together. And like the before mentioned gathering, time had not erased the bonds that were forged in friendship so many years ago. Even our phone "visit" with are dear sick friend was reminiscent of nights when we would tie up our parents phone lines chatting with each other. And as my visit came to a close, again promises were made to return for another visit soon.
And as these reunions all came to an end it reminded me that my life has been richly blessed by those who I have been lucky enough to call friends.

"Memory is a way of holding onto things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose."
The Wonder Years television show
"Pooh, promise me you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred."
Pooh thought for a little.
"How old shall I be then?"
"Ninety-nine."
Pooh nodded. "I promise," he said.
Winnie the Pooh (The House at Pooh Corner)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss L.J.,
I had the most wonderful visit with you! It was like we were plopped back in time 30+years, when we were sharing an apartment, laughing together and being silly. :0)

I just love reading your blog. You are such a talented writer!!

Already miss you tons!
Your forever friend,
G

Heather said...

What fun!! Glad you enjoyed your time reconnecting. I read this post and think to myself, I have no one that I have a relationship like that with. When I do see old friends it's fun to reminisce, but it usually just ends up being awkward. And people start checking their phones. Sad, but true. I wonder if now a days people even still have friends "like that"?
Sorry to hijack your post!
But I'm so glad you had fun! And two thumbs up for Georgia! Great surprise!