Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cherry Pickin'

We live in farm country. Fresh fruit trees and vegetable fields abound. But in the almost three decades I've been here, I have never gone out to any of the abundant U-Pick farms. I love the Farmers Market with it's stands full of fresh berries and veggies, beautiful flowers and home baked pies. But the appeal of actually picking from a tree or vine has always alluded me.
But my streak is broken and I think I just may be a convert. My sweet daughter in law invited me to join her last Saturday in picking cherries. It actually was so much fun and I can't wait to go back in a few weeks when new varieties are available. The prices were much less then in the store and even what I pay at the Farmers' Market.





I'm not quite sure I'm ready to pick strawberries (too far down for this old lady to get to) but I will be back for the loganberries and olallieberries (I have a recipe for olallieberry stuffed French Toast I want to try) just as soon as they are in season.
Thanks Heather for turning me on to this new adventure. And now I to figure out what to do with 10 pounds of cherries!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for driving and going! I had so much fun and I'm pretty sure Andrew enjoyed it too. I'm excited for berry picking too but need to restrain myself. All though freezing berries is easier then cherries. I've got to get myself a cherry pitter.

Kelsey said...

Thank you so much for the cherries you sent home with Sam. They were soooo good. And they were a hit at my family dinner!

Nana Laurie said...

Heather - We had fun too. Thanks for inviting us.
Kelsey - You're welcome. I tried to give him more but he said he didn't eat them.

Lindy Leigh said...

OOOH! Recipe on the blog please!!!

Nicole said...

We did strawberries a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to go cherry picking! Thanks for the great FHE last night. We love using those and Mitchell loves teaching us. I might have to hear about those other berries. I've never tried them. When are they in season?