Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Halloween Time at Disneyland 2009


We took our annual trip to Disneyland and this year there was a new spin. We decided to go during the Halloween festivities. I could not believe the lengths they go to in celebrating and decorating. The park is truly transformed. We also had a much bigger group with Tommy coming along (hurray) and all of my sister's family. Carl and Terry were the only ones of our boys who could join us.
By the end of our three days we still hadn't done everything but we did so much and we were all pretty exhausted. I even rode Space Mountain which is something I don't usually attempt. But there was NO line at the time and I wanted to see the Halloween spin they put on that ride. It was pretty cool but also pretty scary to me. Ter on the other hand wanted to get right on again.
We also loved the fireworks (saw them two nights) and Fantasmic. They were both well worth the wait. Another great part was over in the farm area where they had a fabulous pumpkin carver. It was amazing what this artist did with pumpkins. Also in this same spot there was a place for children to color a Halloween picture. Woody (from Toy Story) was there and Ter Bear had a 15 minute uninterruped conversation with him (one sided no less!). There was also this magician that sat down with him and amazed him with card and coin tricks.
I have to say, though, my favorite was what Disney did with the Haunted Mansion. I knew they decorated it with the Nightmare Before Christmas theme but I thought that just meant a well placed Jack Skellington here or there and a few pumpkins scattered about. I was so wrong. It was completely transformed and no detail was not seen to. We went on it twice!
We usually vacation with my sister Georgia's family. I love that we all get along so well and even though our children are mostly adults now, they still like to be together (we really missed Sam and Matt's families!) and that they enjoy being around us "old" people. The absolute best part of this vacation was that Tommy was able to take time to go with us. He had to spend a lot of time on the phone dealing with work, but he was still able to enjoy it.
If you're planning a Disney celebration I have a couple of tips. I subscribed to a website that gave so many great tips. It's http://www.ridemax.com/ and it saved us time and stress along with giving us some great hints to make our stay even better. It was well worth the $14.95 I paid. I also read the Disney Parks Blog (it's listed in my Blog Roll on the left). Lots of just fun info.
So we've gone to Disneyland in March, May and October now. May was the best but we keep hearing that January is the time to go. We are planning now our next visit for January 2011. I think I can convince Tommy to go again by then!

1 comment:

Heather said...

LOVE your pictures. It was kind of funny when we all went down to Disneyland last November, the park seemed to be in limbo. It was after Halloween (and still kind of decorated) but they were starting to decorate for Christmas. It was an odd combination.
I'm glad you guys had fun. I wish we could have joined you, maybe another time.
And I don't think Matthew picked up the mail. I told him Monday and then last night, and I think both days he forgot.
I'll see you tonight!