My memories of my grandparents are something I cherish. Unfortunately my grandparents had all passed away before I was out of grade school but that doesn't mean I didn't have wonderful times with them.
I had my Grandpa Baker, my dad's dad. His mother had passed away long before my p
arents met. Grandpa Baker was always full of surprises. He was a free spirit who didn't have an official address and I don't think he ever looked at a calendar. He travelled around in his truck and lived in the camper on the back. I remember walking home from school and seeing that truck parked in front of our house. I would race home knowing Grandpa would be waiting. He was always promising to send us horned toads from Texas. Much to my mom's relief, he never did. Ever the Texas rancher's son, he loved the outdoors. To me, he was bigger than life. He was always happy and had the best sense of humor.
My Grandma Georgia was my mom's mom. Like my dad, she had lost her other parent before they met. Grandma lived in a huge house in Stockton and I think we saw her almost everyday. We spent lots of time at her house. She was legally blind and my mom would pick her up to take her for errands. Every Friday morning we picked Grandma up to go grocery shopping, helping her push her basket and put things in it. She always bought us a treat. Usually it was a package of Ghiredelli Flicks chocolates. I loved to listen to her tell stories of the old days and her house was a treasure trove of mysteries. She was deeply patriotic and I never spend 4th of July without thoughts of her.I also had my father's maternal grandparents, Grandma and Grandpa Stanger. Their
gift to me was the deep sense of belonging to a family. They loved their extended family and established a sense of the importance of family that has been passed down through many generations. They also were my link to my religion. My great grandparents were devout LDS. I remember when they lived in a little apartment in Stockton. We would go to visit and they always had a dish of these hideous little candies called Horehound Candy and another dish with lemon drops in them. Of course I would always have to try both!
gift to me was the deep sense of belonging to a family. They loved their extended family and established a sense of the importance of family that has been passed down through many generations. They also were my link to my religion. My great grandparents were devout LDS. I remember when they lived in a little apartment in Stockton. We would go to visit and they always had a dish of these hideous little candies called Horehound Candy and another dish with lemon drops in them. Of course I would always have to try both! One summer, after Grandma died, I remember taking Grandpa to a family reunion in Idaho. He was pretty old at the time. The rest of the family thought the trip would be too tough for him, but my dad insisted and took him. Grandpa Stanger told us stories all the way to American Falls about growing up. I will always remember that trip. And except for my dad, Grandpa was the tallest person I knew.


No post about grandparents is complete with out talking about my children's grandparents. From each of them I have learned how to be a grandma. From Poppa to be spontaneous and teach my grandchildren to love the beauties of this world. From Grannie to teach them that there is nothing more important than family. From Nana to love unconditionally and to always be there for my grandchildren and from Nanoo to work hard.


So here I am a grandmother, well, actually a Nana. The lessons and examples I learned from these dear people who touched my life fuel my relationship with my beautiful grandson, Andrew. When I look at him he just makes my heart full. And I am amazed at how much he adds to my life. I take picture after picture of him, wanting to document each smile for posterity. I am looking forward watching him (and any future grandchildren) grow. I hope I can create wonderful memories for him just as my grandparents did for me.

Happy Grandparents' Day to all of my friends who have achieved this wonderful state. What a lovely time of life. I hope you all can celebrate with a hug from some precious little person you love more than life itself.
"What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies." ~Rudolph Giuliani
"Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children. " ~Alex Haley
"One of the most powerful handclasps is that of a new grandbaby around the finger of a grandfather." ~Joy Hargrove
"The history of our grandparents is remembered not with rose petals but in the laughter and tears of their children and their children's children. It is into us that the lives of grandparents have gone. It is in us that their history becomes a future. " ~Charles and Ann Morse
3 comments:
It's great to see pics of you and your family! Thanks for swapping blogs! :)
Loved this post!
Horehound Candy and lemon drops eewwww, yuk, nasty.
I remember my grandparents "said" they liked it but I never saw them eat it. Just always had it to "share" with us kids. Lemon drop aren't that bad but they always tore the roof of my mouth up.
Lovely post...I used to love Flicks at the drive-in movies.
This is the best time isn't it? Grandchildren are the icing on the cake!
Post a Comment