This is one of those random posts that is written because it evolves out of one of those inane "tag your friends" Facebook quizzes. The quiz asked you to name the first 15 movies that you remember. I quickly came up with 15 but in more than five decades of movie watching narrowing it down to 15 seemed ridiculous. So here are the 100 movies that touched me, scared me, made me laugh and made me remember them. Here they are arranged by genre (and not neccessarily by how I rated them). Movies with asterisks are the ones I'll watch WHENEVER they're on.
The Sheepman ... This makes the list because in my baby book my mom wrote that it was the first movie that I saw. It's a Glenn Ford/Shirley MacLaine classic. It probably was what spurred my love of a good western, hence the next movies on my list.
Shenandoah*, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Little Big Man, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Giant, Rio Bravo*, El Dorado, The Searchers, Cat Ballou*, McLintock, Three Godfathers, How the West Was Won, Jeremiah Johnson, Paint Your Wagon*, Legends Of The Fall, The Quiet Man, Young Guns, Tombstone, The Shakiest Gun in the West*
(Yes, there ARE an awful lot of John Wayne movies on this list! The Duke and Jimmy Stewart are my all time favorite male actors!!!!)
Moving on to my favorite Disney movies, my list is not complete without Pollyanna. I will drop what I'm doing to watch this movie and I hold my breath everytime Hayley Mills reaches for that doll! And although having so many Disney DVDs in our collection might seem a deterrant to them being favorites here are my other Disney must sees:
The Three Lives of Tomasina, The Parent Trap (the original, of course), Mary Poppins, Old Yeller, Up (This is a great new classic!), Dumbo (The crows singing still cracks me up!), Swiss Family Robinson*, Pete's Dragon*, The Black Hole (This is actually a really bad movie, but it was one of Tommy and my earlier dates), Moonspinners, The One And Only Genuine Original Family Band, Robin Hood (the animated version), The World's Greatest Athlete, The Gnome-Mobile* (Love, love, love this movie), Follow Me Boys, Toby Tyler, Babes in Toyland* (I used to know the entire soundtrack to this one), Pinochio, The Ugly Daschound
Now for the tear jerkers and chick flicks. Tops on this list is Fried Green Tomatos, a movie I don't think I've ever gotten my husband to sit through but is one of the best all time girl movies. But there are some in this group he'll watch with me.
A Star Is Born (with Babs and Kris Kristofferson), Gone With The Wind, The Way We Were*, Somewhere In Time, Grease (I saw this at least 10 times at the movies when it first came out!), Footloose*, Beaches, Steel Magnolias (one of the best ensemble casts ever!), Father Of The Bride (the Spencer Tracy version), Now and Then, Where The Heart Is* (but read this book first!), Gidget (with Sandra Dee), Any of the Tammy movies, Splendor In The Grass*, Tall Story* (This movie will make you never look at Jane Fonda and Anthony Perkins the same way again), Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Move Over Darling, A League of Their Own
Carrie tops the list of scary movies but Psycho and The Bad Seed are right there with it. I am a big Hitchcock fan and some of my other favorites to watch in the dark are:
The Birds, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte* (I cannot watch this one at night but I also can't miss it when it's on), The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T (I don't know if this is supposed to be scary but it always scares me), The Wizard Of Oz (you know this one scared you too!), Night Of The Living Dead (the original), Rosemary's Baby, The Fly (I like the Jeff Goldblum one better than the Vincent Price version), The Shining (another one you should read the book first), The Ring (Donna and I saw this and I think I was scarred for life afterwards), The Omen, Duel, Dead Zone, Misary, Christine, The Eyes of Laura Mars, The Fog, and An American Werewolf in London
And finally just some really great, great movies that I LOVE to watch:
Hell Fighters (John Wayne again)*
Star Wars
Rudy *
To Kill A Mockingbird *
The Greatest Show on Earth (John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart in the SAME movie!) *
Yours Mine and Ours (Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda)*
Meet Me In St. Louis
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington*
Cheaper By The Dozen* (NOT THE REMAKE!!!!)
Angel In My Pocket (If you haven't seen this movie, it is a gem!)*
Bonnie and Clyde
The Shawshank Redemption*
Stand By Me
The Trouble With Angels*
Auntie Mame*
Sandlot
Glory *
The Princess Bride*
American Grafitti*
Some Like It Hot
And as I'm wrapping up this list at least 10 other great movies have popped in my head. But I'll save those for another time. Are any of my top 100 on your list?
2 comments:
Wow! 100 movies, just like that? that's pretty good. whenever someone asks me to give a top "something" i always get stuck about half way through.
I love all those movies...plus Oh Brother Where Art Thou and Return to me :)
Post a Comment