Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Girls

I'm a boy mom. I think I always knew that was going to be the case. I wanted daughters but somehow I knew it wouldn't happen. The big clues: I am awful at doing hair. I have never been able to do a good job at make-up. I never minded dirty little hand prints, cleats in the front room, or milk drank straight from the jug (okay, maybe I did mind that last one!). I went to Little League, CYO basketball, youth soccer, and volleyball games and cheered my boys at every turn. I can name all of the Ninja Turtles and the Power Rangers, can turn a Transformer car in to a robot in 10 seconds flat and I don't even acknowledge obnoxious body noises. Along the way my boys learned how to wash their own uniforms, cook their own dinner in the microwave and that no one was going to pick up after them so they needed to do it (or not do it) themselves.

As a reward for being such a great mom(patting myself on the back here) I have been blessed with two beautiful daughters-in-law. I think I must have done okay teaching my boys to respect strong women because these girls are awesome! They are beautiful, loving, strong and bright. And I love them.

Last night we went together to a card class. On top of all their other wonderful traits, my girls are talented too. Where I was all thumbs as I put together my handmade cards, theirs were turning out beautifully. But the best part was spending the evening with them. We had so much fun and there was no talk of any sport the whole evening. I think we will try to do a "Girls Night Out" at least one a month.

Maybe next time we'll go see a "chick flick". You know, something without a car chase or aliens.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you!! But I don't think you give yourself enough credit...you are the best bow maker!! That's why there are never bows on my cards, they're just too hard.
I'm so glad to be apart of the Seeno family. And to have you as such an amazing mother in law. Who else would come to my rescue and teach a lesson for me? You have raised an amazing son (Matthew), and I hope to be just as supportive and loving with Andrew. And who knows, maybe some day you'll get a grand daughter out of one of us. Matthew says, no, Seeno's don't have girls.
So we know 3 things about Seeno's
1. They don't camp
2. They don't tie bows
3. They don't have girls

Lindy Leigh said...

What a sweet post...made me smile :)

Kelsey said...

I seem to remember your cards coming out just as great! I had a great weekend with all you Seenos. I can't imagine better in-laws. I'm so blessed to have married Sam and his wonderful family. I'm not giving up on you getting a grand daughter though Sam says the same thing. Only time will tell.

Love you!

*****PRINCESS LAURA**** said...

hello what about me, i'm just chopped liver? although you arent' my real mom you've always been a mom to me.thanks auntie. and i know i didn't always act like a girl, but how is the possible when you grow up with 5 boys.

Nana Laurie said...

Thanks girls. And Laura, you know you are definately NOT chopped liver! I couldn't love you more if you were my own daughter. Remember, yours is the only wedding I get to plan? And you are welcome to join us for girls night out anytime.

mhanberg said...

Hey I know two Hanberg girls who think of you as their extra mom! Then I can think of many other young women who feel the same! So you DO have daughters besides those two beautiful daughter in laws! We all love you!!!

Georgia said...

I think God knew what he was doing when he gave us 1 girl between us. As you can see, Laura Mae didn't grow up being the girlie girl that we all thought she would be. As she said, she didn't have a chance with 5 boys and 2 dads that play every sport imaginable. I think mom tried to make us as girlie as possible but then dad balanced us out with all the male influences that he provided (camping, boating, fishing, etc). I don't remember us being very girlie girl either. It's nice to know that we may still have a chance with our girlie, girl daughter-in-laws. Someday we may be able to buy those pink dresses and bows along with YOU being able to take them to get their nails and hair done, because you know I won't be doing those kinds of things with them.