My favorite creature on display was a possum. I have seen many of them on the road before but never one up close. They really are kinda cute ... at least this little fellow was. He had all four of his feet wrapped in little bandages because they are dry and cracked. I also loved the Great Horned Owl. It was absolutely beautiful and I had no idea how big they truly are. It was neat to see a live one up close. He was roosting near the barn owl and it was interesting to see the difference in their sizes.
Also on display is a live bobcat. We were at the museum during feeding time so we got to watch this process with the bobcat. They hide dead mice in boxes filled with torn newspaper that are hanging around his enclosure. The cat bats the boxes around and throws the paper all over looking for the mice.
Another interesting animal (don't laugh) was the squirrel. Now we have tons of squirrels around our property and they are pests. We actually refer to them as the "furry tail rats" but this guy was really pretty. He was pretty big and was busy running around his display tearing up newspaper and making a nest. We watched him for a long time.
When Maryann took Rebecca they got to pet a snake. We discussed this on the drive over and both agreed that we might pet a snake if we had the chance. Well, no snakes today. Instead they brought out Roxy the Rat. Instruction was given on how small animals should be petted (two fingers gently on the side, away from the mouth). Ter Bear did it ... not me!They also have a variety of insects and reptiles on display and the place is full of interesting and interactive activities.

Maryann had suggested packing a lunch and planning a picnic at the park that the Museum is located in. I packed a great lunch for us and then drove off and left it sitting on the dining room table. So after playing in the park for a half hour we drove to the closest McDonald's and had lunch.
I'm not sure why I have never visited the Lindsay before but I think we will definitely be going back.
4 comments:
andrew liked the squirrel too. i think it's because it was the most active animal there. and the owl you like is my favorite too. it reminded me of owl from winnie the pooh. glad you guys went. it's a nice, short museum.
So glad you were able to go. Sorry you forgot your lunch :(.
We loved the owls as well. That darn ole owl would turn his head EVERY TIME I tried to take his picture! He looked like he was trying to snub me!
and that squirrel IS a large rat! Funny how behind a piece of glass you could think he was pretty. Put that same squirrel in my yard and get the trap!!! I do have to say he had a beautiful tail.
We used to have swim meets there next to the museum, so we visited it a lot....that was so long ago. As for the cuteness of a oppossum, I have seen an adult and a baby up close and personal, and they are quite scary and ugly. The baby is cute until his shows his long fangy teeth and hisses at you. The adult one that I saw was in our dog food ben and I actually reached in w/o looking and touched it! It was pretty freaky!
Ashlyn has been wanting to take our family since she went on a field trip their last year. I think I might have to check it out.
Post a Comment